Achievement Course: Scholarship
Recommended Ages: 14-18 years of age
Approximate Completion Time Frame: 6-9 months
St. Thomas Aquinas was born in 1226 in Italy. By the age of 5 he was sent to learn with the Benedictines. He was a quick study and showed signs of understanding and living the virtues early on. After prayerful consideration and against his family’s wishes at the age of 17 he entered the Order of St. Dominic. He made his profession of vows in Naples years later. He then went to Cologne to study under St. Albert the Great. His classmates nicknamed him the “Dumb Ox” due to his large size and his quiet nature. Although, he was quite a brilliant student. By the age of 22, he started teaching and publishing his writings. He became a priest and went to Paris for further studies while earning his doctorate by the age of 31. While in Paris, he became friends with the king of France, St. Louis.
Pope Urban IV asked him to write hymns and prayers for a new feast for the Body and Blood of our Lord, the Feast of Corpus Christi. Tantum Ergo Sacramentum, O Salutaris Hostia, and Pange Lingua are just a few of his works that we still sing today. His greatest acclaimed work is Summa Theologica. This was never finished due to his death from an illness in 1274, while on the way to the second Council of Lyons. He is one of the Doctors of the Church and is known as the “Angelic Doctor.” He is the patron saint of all universities and students.
Objective: To demonstrate competency in scholarly writing and research.
- Read the entire New Testament
- Read the entire book of Proverbs
- Read 2 of the following classic works of literature and philosophy
- Iliad by Homer
- Odyssey by Homer
- Aeneid by Virgil
- Apologia by Plato
- Republic by Plato
- Nichomachean Ethics by Aristotle
- Confessions by Augustine
Write Three Essays
- The essays should be typed, double spaced, and in 12 point New Times Roman font with 1 inch margins, citations should be in footnotes and follow Chicago formatting. 5 Pages means five full pages (running over on a sixth page) and 5 pages does not include a title page.
- Write a 5 page essay on a Saint or Blessed to which you have a devotion.
- Write a 5 page essay on one of the following pagan philosophers
- Zeno of Citium
- Marcus Aurelius
- Write a 5 page essay on one of the “Nine Worthies” of the Western military tradition
- Alexander the Great
- Julius Caesar
- Judas Maccabeus
- King Arthur
- Godfrey of Bouillon
Additional information will be provided within the “blog” section of this webpage.