Achievement Course: Fishing
Recommended Ages: 10-18 years of age
Approximate Completion Time Frame: 3-6 months
The Patron Saints of fishermen are Saint Peter and Saint Andrew, who were both fishermen. St. Andrew was St. Peter’s brother, and was called with him. “As Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon who is now called Peter, and his brother Andrew, casting a net into the sea; they were fishermen. He said to them, ‘Come after me, and I will make you fishers of men.’ At once they left their nets and followed him” (Matthew 4:18-20). St. John the Evangelist presents Andrew as a disciple of John the Baptist. When Jesus walked by one day, John said, “Behold, the Lamb of God.” Andrew and another disciple followed Jesus. “Jesus turned and saw them following him and said to them, ‘What are you looking for?’ They said to him, ‘Rabbi (which translated means Teacher), where are you staying?’ He said to them, ‘Come, and you will see.’ So they went and saw where he was staying, and they stayed with him that day” (John 1:38-39a).
Objective: To demonstrate proper fishing techniques and survival skills with fishing.
Fishing is a lot of fun and can be very challenging. Besides just being fun, fishing can also be a great skill to know how to use in a survival situation. It is important to know what equipment should be used for a successful fishing trip.
- Identify different types of fishing rods.
- Baitcast or Spincast
- Identify the different types of fishing reels.
- Learn and tie three different bait rigs using the clinch knot (you will also need to demonstrate a surgeons end loop and snella a hook). Animated Fishing Knots.
- How to tie a clinch knot.
- How to tie a surgeons end loop knot.
- How to snell a hook.
- Live bait Santee Cooper rig.
- How to Catch Catfish with a Santee Cooper Rig.
- Carolina and Texas Rig.
- Find and install 3 different live baits on rig.
- Build and install a PVC “spike” rod holder for shore fishing.
- Identify 10 different North American (or native to your area) fish species.
- Specify the legal size and catch limits for all your local region/state’s game fish. Louisiana 2016 Fishing Regulations.
- Build a “Minimalist” fishing survival kit. Must weigh less than 5ounces. Use this kit to catch an edible fish. Survival Fishing Kit.
- Catch, clean, cook and eat a legal game fish. (Please review basic online or written
resources to prepare for this step.)
Additional information will be provided within the “blog” section of this webpage.